Offre publiée le 2022-11-04
The role of Expert RAM is to provide technical leadership for the RAM discipline in support of the Operational Technology (OT) solutions.
The overall mandate is to ensure that these solutions have attributes of high robustness, reliability, and availability, This involves advanced level system and product analysis, modeling and requirements assessment during the development phase and the analysis of field RAM data to determine solution RAM KPI’s and to drive corrective action programs.
These corrective action programs frequently involved working with vendors of products used in the CN solutions.With the advent of Cloud Computing there is also a need for a RAM specialist that is well versed in Cloud based technologies as well as solutions architectures for the cloud.
Separate specializations may exist for hardware and software RAM. The technologies used in the OT solutions are primarily distributed digital control systems, communication networks, Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS), embedded and virtualized computing as well as Cloud based solutions.
The Expert RAM will also be required to engage with other railroad technical teams, and industry organisations such as Transportation Technology Center Inc.
TTCI) and regulatory organizations such as the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA). As such excellent communication skills are required to represent CN’s interests and influence direction at the industry level.
This position requires a high degree of accountability and initiative.
OT Solution RAM Assessments
- Review and approve solution requirements for RAM
- Determine non-functional requirements and targets for RAM performance
- Perform analysis and modeling to predict RAM behaviour
- Adhere to the OT system engineering development process
Solution RAM Field Performance
- Determine which RAM Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) are appropriate for the solution or product. Determine how to measure these KPI’s.
- Assign requirements to solutions and products to ensure they support the ability to measure these KPI’s
- Use the field performance measurement to identify key contributors and drive corrective action plans when necessary
Vendor Product RAM Assessments
- Review vendor specifications, test results, analysis artifacts
- Contribute to failure review board for selected vendors
- Review corrective action plans from the vendors
- Drive to completion the vendor corrective action plans
RAM Methodology Innovation
- Follow industry developments for RAM analysis techniques and methodologies in both traditional systems and cloud based solutions.
- Follow developments of commercial software tools for performing RAM analysis
- Where appropriate, initiate a proof of concept trial for new methodologies, tools and techniques and introduce the practice to the RAM team
- Work with other railroads and TTCI to develop an industry approach to drive hardware and software development practices for RAM into the industry vendors
- Ensure TTCI practices for vendor management achieve CN’s objectives
- Work with other railroad technology teams to ensure solution interoperability from a RAM perspective. Contribute to the development of Service Level Agreements.
- Attend industry events
Education / Certification / Designation
Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, computer engineering or equivalent degree or experience
Skills / Knowledge
- Knowledge of hardware and / or software design and development practices and processes with focus on high reliability and high availability applications
- Knowledge of RAM analysis techniques such as failure rate prediction, Reliability Block Diagrams (RBD), Markov models, Monte Carlo methods, Failure Modes Effects Analysis (FMEA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA)
- Analysis of reliability and failure field data, statistical estimation, Root Cause Analysis (RCA)
- Critical thinking and judgement
- Ability to deliver with great autonomy
- Organizing work to support multiple projects in parallel
- Communication and presentation skills
Knowledge and / or experience in the following areas is an asset :
- Multi-Cloud / Multi-Zone-Based designs and Cluster / HA based parallel design / multi-region Cloud automation
- Containers : Docker & Container orchestration, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE)
- Compute Infrastructure : Google Compute Engine (GCE), Docker Apps, Serverless, User Data customization (servers, databases, firewalls, load balancers, networking, and storage)
- Services for Google Cloud Platform (GCP) (Dataproc, Big Table, Big Data, Big Query)
- Databases including NoSQL Databases, Big Data technologies (Oracle, SQL Server, Postgres, Spark, Hadoop, Cloud databases)
- Application development concepts and technologies (CI / CD, Java, Python, Ansible)
- Minimum 10-15 years overall work experience
- Minimum 5 years demonstrating technical leadership qualities and / or overseeing deliverables
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in RAM engineering for complex systems, or 15 years’ experience in product development for high reliability / availability, or safety critical systems with accountability for product field performance
- Knowledge of product design and standards for the rail industry
- Knowledge of rail industry or other transportation industry operations
- PMP / PMI certification
- This role may require occasional business travel in accordance with CN policy for meetings